The following apply in the case an istitution uses its own repository/database system and makes the metadata available through the Open Access Initiative – Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH) with support for IEEE LOM format. In order for an institution to contribute resources to Organic.Edunet three steps should be followed:
- Validate the institution's repository OAI-PMH target
- Validate the metadata instances against the application profile set up in the Organic.Edunet
- Contact us
Then we could harvest the metadata from the institution's repository.
For accomplishing the required technical validation procedure, the Organic.Edunet validation service would be very useful. It is available (online) for providing validation of metadata instances of a particular OAI-PMH target against a predefined application profile. Moreover, it could be used to check if a target is qualified according to OAI-PMH and IEEE LOM format. In any case, reports are automatically generated which give an overview of all validation errors.
OAI-PMH target validation
In order to validate your repository's OAI-PMH target please:
- Access the online validation service here
- Insert the URL of your OAI-PMH target and optionally the name of a set in the "Harvesting Set" text box
- Ιn the "Metadata Prefix" field keep the default value "oai_lom"
- In the "Metadata Format" field keep the default value "LOM"
- Validate the target and check the generated message
If your target is well validated then please continue with metadata validation according to the Organic.Edunet application profile:
- Access the metadata validation service here. You are given the opportunity to verify either a single instance or all records in the target against the Organic.Edunet application profile.
- Select the Organic.Edunet application profile from the “Validation Scheme URI” drop down list
- Validate your target by clicking on “Parse and Validate”
- Check the reports that are automatically generated and give an overview of all possible validation errors
We should note that: The URI (http://www.organic-edunet.eu/validation/ORG-EDUv1.0/CORE) corresponds to Mandatory Metadata Elements category. The URI (http://www.organic-edunet.eu/validation/ORG-EDUv1.0/RECOMMENDED) corresponds to Recommended Metadata Elements category.
If the validation is completed with no errors then please contact the responsible person at harvest [at] organicedunet [dot] eu including the URL of your OAI-PMH target. Optionally, if you have specific set(s) of a target that should be harvested then please also include the values of the "setSpec" element that correspond to your set(s).
In order to harvest metadata from repositories that make their metadata available through OAI-PMH we use the Ariadne harvesting tool. It uses the OAI-PMH framework for harvesting metadata instances from an OAI-PMH target and publishes them with the Simple Publishing Interface (SPI) into a new repository.