Organic.Edunet Metadata Application Profile
About the Organic.Edunet Metadata Application Profile (AP)
The Organic.Edunet Metadata AP is an adapted version of the IEEE LOM. It adapts certain vocabularies and recommendations from the Learning Resource Exchange (LRE) Metadata AP developed by the European Schoolnet (EUN) Consortium. It also considers the way other APs for agricultural learning repositories have been developed to facilitate interoperability with them, including the CG LOM Core developed by CGIAR and ARIADNE, FAO’s Ag-LR AP and others.Deliverable D5.1.2 "Educational Metadata for Organic.Edunet Learning Objects (Multilingual)" of the Organic.Edunet Project. This deliverable presents all the elements of the AP in detail while separating them in three categories of Mandatory, Recommended and Optional elements. The deliverable also presents examples of use, technical bindings of the suggested AP, mappings of the Organic.Edunet AP to other Metadata schemas as well as the multilingual translations of the English vocabularies used in the Organic.Edunet AP in eight more languages (Greek, Spanish, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Norwegian, Estonian and Russian). The Organic.Lingua EU project is currently working on the revision of the Organic.Edunet metadata AP, which can be found online here.
The metadata elements of the Organic.Edunet AP v3.0 are classified in three categories:
- Mandatory: Include only basic information about a digital resource and they have to be completed
- Recommended: They provide a complete description of the digital resources and it would be nice to be completed (at least the fields applicable in each case)
- Optional: They provide an enhanced description of a digital resource but the information needed is not always easy to complete.
These three categories of metadata elements are briefly describes in the folowing sections
Mandatory Metadata Elements
- Identifier: Unique label for the identification of a digital resource (e.g. a URL/URI) [Free Text]
- Title: The title of the resource. [Free Text]
- Description: A summary of the resource. Can be up to 2000 characters long. [Free Text]
- Meta-Metadata Schema: The metadata schema used for the creation of the metadata record. Usually automatically provided by the metadata authoring tool. [Auto]
- Meta-Metadata Language: The language of the metadata record. [Vocabulary]
- Technical Format: Information about the format of a resource (e.g. image/gif, text/html) [Vocabulary]
- Technical Size: Information about the size of the digital resource. [Auto]
- Technical Location: Information about the physical location of the digital resource (e.g. a URL/URI). [Auto]
- Copyright and Other Restrictions: Basic information about the existence of copyright over a digital resource. The accepted values are either "Yes" or "No". [Vocabulary]
- Rights Description: Advanced information about the copyright restrictions of a digital resource. It is based on Creative Commons licences. [Free Text]
Recommended Metadata Elements
- Language: The language of the resource. [Vocabulary]
- Keywords: At least three keywords should be provided for each digital resource. [Free Text]
- Contribution: Consists of the Role (e.g. Author - vocabulary term), Entity (the name - free text) and Date (selected formats) of entities who are involved in any way with the digital resource but NOT the creation of the metadata record.
- Meta-Metadata Identifier: A unique label for the identification of each metadata record. Information automatically provided by the system.
- Meta-Metadata Contribute: Information about entities involved in the development of a metadata record, including the Role, Entity and Date. Information automatically provided by the system.
- Cost: Information about the cost of the resource, if any. The accepted values are either "Yes" or "No". [Vocabulary]
- Learning Resource Type: The type of the learning resource, e.g. lesson plan, handbook, experiment etc. [Vocabulary]
- Intended End User Role: The type of the end users of a digital resource. [Vocabulary]
- Learning Context: The learning environment in which the digital resource applies. [Vocabulary]
- Typical Age Range: The typical age range of the user of a digital resource. [Free text]
- Annotation Entity/Date/Description: Used for stating the entity that created an annotation [Free Text]
- Classification Purpose: Describes the purpose of classifying a digital resource under the classification system used. [Vocabulary]
- Classification Taxon Path: Stores a taxonomic path in a specific classification system.
Useful Resources on the Organic.Edunet AP
- Organic.Edunet IEEE LOM AP v3.0 (under development, Organic.Lingua Project)
- Organic.Edunet IEEE LOM v2.0 Application Profile Presentation
- Palavitsinis, N., Kastrantas, K. and Manouselis, N. (2009) Interoperable metadata for a federation of learning repositories on organic agriculture and agroecology [link]
- Palavitsinis, N., Ebner, H., Sanchez-Alonso, S. and Manouselis, N. (2011) Using e-Learning Technologies and Standards to Make Educational Content Available: The Organic.Edunet Approach [link]